SPRING HILL — A company employee was burned and about 15 neighboring homes were evacuated after gas ignited at a Heritage Propane plant on Monday, authorities said.
Gas in a valve assembly was somehow ignited and reached 40 to 50 feet into the air at the site off Keysville Avenue, according to Hernando County officials. The burn victim was flown to an area hospital, but officials said the employee was expected to be fine.
Firefighters quickly contained the fire, shut off the main gas line and let the leaking propane burn off to ensure it wouldn't pose any future danger, officials said. Authorities at the scene were not sure of precisely how the fire started.